Jul. 15th, 2009

sdjalana: (Default)
So.  We have a firm date for the lab to close.  I will be out of a job come October 1st, which totally sucks.  The administration here is not at all supportive--I fully believe they hate the fact that Kate is leaving science to be an astronaut and we're caught in the crossfire. 

Good news is, I'm wanted.  One possible plan is for me to transfer over to our collaborator's lab at Harvard... maybe.  Very much dependent on if the grant funding is transferable, which would be a major hassle, but most likely doable.  And, one of the faculty members here has spoken to me about an opening in his lab that would become a lab manager position once the current lab manager retires next year.

I'm feeling a bit conflicted, though.  If I move to Harvard, I can continue working on the same research I love.  If I stay here, I would transition over to yeast genetics (not my favorite, to be honest), but my career development is set.  This isn't even taking into account the possibility of me leaving academia and going into industry--there's a job opening at Novartis that seems to be tailor-made for me. Argh.

Of course, all this could be moot if the funds don't transfer over and/or the faculty member decides to hire someone else.  Probably shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch... :P

April 2010


Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 24th, 2017 03:04 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios